Text contents and images belongs to Désirée Nordlund. Powered by Blogger.

Ways to tell a story
Saturday, February 16, 2013



I've been thinking a lot about ways to tell a story. Do you remember Beatrice Coron's stories cut from paper? She said she cut away the part of the paper that didn't belong in the story. She considered her images stories, though they were one single image without any text.

Just as much as these toilet paper rolls above are stories.

But the stories are in the eye of the beholder. I cannot know for sure what the maker of the story intended.

If I write a story, it is read, and understood, as I intended. I know what I transfer. But is it really so? Lately I've become aware that it is not that simple.

Some of the stories I have written on this blog has gained very flattering responses. But it is not one or two especially well written that get all the attention, but everyone is favoring their favorite story, not one liking the same as another. Stories that stroke a cord in them, that I could never participate in, or control.

Just as an image could strike a cord. Something in a particular situation that makes you want to know more; maybe even causing frustration that you can't turn another page or ask the character in the portrait.

Stories are so much more than just good handiwork. But that "so much more" is something I believe is beyond any storytellers range to control. All you can do is tell your story the best way you can, and leave the rest to the beholder.

Photo and art belongs to www.anastassia-elias.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment