Text contents and images belongs to Désirée Nordlund. Powered by Blogger.

Establishing shots or not?
Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm not a filmmaker. I don't hold the camera. I write stories. But as a storyteller I think this video by David Bordwell belongs here. It is about different techniques to edit a movie. In short: establishing shots or not?

I feel that the Hollywood way is safe, but slightly boring. Yes, you don't risk to get the viewer confused and that is good; you don't want to confuse. But on the other hand, the images are part of the story. What we see is the most obvious way to use as a brand of you as a storyteller (director and/or cinematographer). Be a little bold, if you dare.


Constructive Editing in Robert Bresson's Pickpocket from David Bordwell on Vimeo.

Here is a link to the video.

Thank you VoodooFilm for the inspiration

0 comments:

Post a Comment