I must admit that I am surprised that my beat sheet worked so well for a 15 minutes short. The ideas for structure for a feature work just as well for something shorter it seems.
I began with writing down all the turning points, setups, catalysts, midpoints and so on. It looked good, but it always does. I calculated where each point should be in the script and I wondered for myself if I would succeed to place “the question” in the middle of page two; without making it look awkward that is.
As I wrote I took a peek at the page count from time to time and matched it against the beat sheet, and somehow things ended up in the right places. It was just by the end that things started to go fast – a common trait when I write it seems. So I backtracked and let things take their time and not rush through important scenes.
I’ve sent the first draft to the commissioner. I’m looking forward to hear her response.